Friday, 24 January 2020

2020

I remember being in middle school in the late 80s, riding my bike at the neighborhood playground and meeting a young child that would be graduating from high school in the year 2000.  It seemed so far into the future.  Thinking about the year 2020 was really unimaginable.  I still like to ride a bike, go camping, take pictures at watch movies, though some of those have changed significantly since 1988.  My bike has disc brakes, a front fork with suspension that can be released with the flip of my thumb, and LED lights.  The camping I did last summer was in an RV, in spots that we found using our cellular data connection  -- to seek remote camping spots that had no network so we could escape.  The camera I use doesn't need film and take a week to get photos processed -- I'm shooting HD video clips from a GoPro and able to upload to family members all over the world instantly.  And even the movies I watched were on VHS that were rented from the locally-owned shop or maybe even on the cable TV channel that we were subscribing to instead of streamed instantly to high definition screens in surround sound. 

I do not know where those hobbies of mine will go in the next 20 or 30 years, but I'm sure that they'll exist.  The programs we offer for music, dance, swimming, sports, arts and others will not have huge fundamental changes.  Swim strokes will be similar, the rules of soccer will evolve, and sheet music from a century ago will be just as timeless.  the memories that students make this year will be bookmarked in their minds and when they have their own kids doing similar activities they will be able to remember back to 2020 and how things were.

As much as I'd like to think that we're doing our best to stay on top of best practices, I'm sure that we'll find that we're doing things wrong now -- but we're trying!

February will be a challenging month for the Athletics and Activities office.  We've already begun to nag about host families.  Between February 7 and March 7 we're hosting a theater festival that needs 60 beds, MathCounts which needs 48 beds, track and field which will need 180 beds, middle school tennis and volleyball with 80 beds, and high school tennis with 32 beds.  If you're able to, please volunteer to help host visiting students by completing this form.

During the same month we'll also transition to season 3 of ASAs, have a middle school Sevai Day, host local teams, send off students for sports, MUN and music festivals, have Cabaret and the Maker Carnival.  The next 7 weeks are going to fly by. 

Despite all of that, be on the lookout for a few changes to make your interactions with our office a little smoother.  We're going to pilot a new online payment option, roll out a digital catalog of ASAs, and find other ways to innovate and refine what we do.  Just like my hobbies have changed since the late 80s, we'll be here, doing much of the same stuff but trying to future-proof them.